Tuesday, March 9, 2010

300 Miles Down, 8488 More to Go

We made it to Portland yesterday. We decided to go through Medford because of snow and to say farewell to Gramma Fox. Then it was north to Eugene to have lunch with my little(st) sister, Samantha. She's going to UofO but don't hold that against her, she's young and confused. Being in Eugene was like being behind enemy lines, all the ducks everywhere. I felt like I was on display being an Oregon State kinda guy. I had to shower as soon as we got to Portland, what a gross feeling, all that green and yellow... Go Beavers! :)

Ok, back on track. Man I tend to go off on tangents, huh? Oh well, it's my blog.

We arrived mid afternoon (man I hate city traffic). All is well and the kids are getting settled at Gramma Myron's house. When we put the kids to bed last night (and did the traditional tickle/goodnight kiss routine), Matty started to cry. I asked her to tell me why she was sad and she told me through tears, "I'm just thinking about when you and mommy leave and all the fun that we have when you're here." Oh man, that hit me hard. As long as I can be strong for her (and ME!) until we get into the airport. We know Katie will do fine, that little hippy is so nonchalant about everything. She probably won't even notice we're gone and will probably enjoy having domain over Gramma's house.

Shawna will head off to Michelle's apartment this morning (my other little sister and our Ethiopia travel companion) and help her pack (ie. tell her which clothes NOT to take). Our bags are next to the door, and we are as ready as we can be.

We leave tonight to stay in a hotel next to the airport and we will be on a plane early tomorrow!

300 miles down, 8,488 more to go... here we come Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment