Saturday, February 27, 2010

Travel Group #5!!!

Well many of you know that Monday our sweet little Matty girl had her adenoids removed (isn't that a new cell phone?) Anyway, she was a big six year old and braver than her mother and I. She apparently had a blast while being put under anesthesia while I was in the waiting room holding back tears. (I didn't tell Shawna but I really didn't have to go to the bathroom all those times!) She did fantastic and on our way home we stopped at Albertsons to stock up on some ice cream and popsicles.

We got her home and comfortable and our first order of business was to check email. We have been (im)patiently waiting for travel info from the adoption agency. I logged onto email, with Shawna inches above my right shoulder, and there it was, a new email from our adoption agency with a subject line, "Ethiopia Travel Dates." WOOHOO!

We found out we are part of Travel Group #5. We spent most of the week getting things in order, scheduling flights, finalizing some paperwork, packing, more paperwork, checking checklists, double checking checklists... and so on.

My sister, Michelle, will be traveling with us and Matty and Katie will stay with Gramma Myron (spending lots of time at McDonalds and Chuck E Cheese I'm sure). We are happy to have Michelle join us and know she will be a huge help during this emotional roller coaster.

We leave Portland at 8:30 am on Wednesday March 10th and after a couple stops (including enough time in Amsterdam to claim residency) arrive in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia just after 10pm on Thursday March 11th. (Ethiopia is 11 hours ahead of us west coasters)

Shawna and I were talking earlier, and after waiting for what seemed like an eternity for travel dates, the news of its impending arrival turned from excitement to more impatience realizing that we now know when we travel, but still have to wait two weeks for it! The last time I felt this way was as a child waiting for Christmas. If you happened upon this blog and are waiting your travel dates, good luck! It will be here before you know it, it was the fastest, slowest process! ;)

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to blog-land! Stumbled on your blog through the Holt forums. Thought I'd introduce myself since we'll be seeing you in a few short days, also as part of travel group #5! I'm Leah Ann, husband Lance, we'll be picking up 23 mo old Ty. Putting in a plug for the HoltEthiopia Yahoo group, you'll gain tons of knowledge about the process and travels.

    Leah Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you Leah Ann! I have requested access to the HoltEthiopia Yahoo Group. Just waiting for a moderator of sorts to grant me access. I look forward to meeting you and your husband in person so we can share this exciting adventure together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on travel dates...you will have her in your arms so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cameron and Megan!!! We are SO looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete